I love creamy chicken enchiladas and I love fajitas. One day, as I was contemplating my dinner options, the brilliant idea of combining these two into something spectacular popped into my head. The results were simply scrumptious so I thought I would share this recipe with you so your taste buds might be tantalized as were mine.
Creamy Chicken Fajita Enchiladas
Author: Trisha Coleman
Two fantastic dishes combined into one even more fantastic dish!
- 3 chicken breasts sliced into medallions
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed slightly
- 1 red or green pepper sliced
- ½ a medium onion sliced
- 2 cups shredded cheese
- 8 flour tortillas
- ½ tsp. garlic salt
- ½ tsp paprika or chili powder
- 2 Tbsp. of olive oil
- ½ cup salted butter
- ½ cup flour
- ¼ teaspoon seasoned salt
- ¼ tsp garlic salt
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
- 2½ cups chicken stock
- 1½ cups sour cream
- 2 (4 oz) can green chiles
- Pour 1 Tbsp. olive oil into frying pan over medium heat.
- Add sliced onions and red peppers to frying pan and saute' until tender.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Pour 1 Tbsp. olive oil into frying pan on medium high heat.
- Slice your chicken into medallions so it will cook faster and not dry out.
- Sprinkle with garlic salt and paprika or chili powder.
- Saute' your chicken for a couple of minutes on each side until the chicken is just cooked through.
- Remove chicken from pan and let it rest.
- (You could also use a shredded rotisserie chicken instead)
- Melt butter in frying pan over medium heat.
- Add seasoned salt, garlic salt and black pepper to your flour.
- Stir seasoned flour into melted butter to make a roux.
- Stir in 2/12 cups of chicken broth until smooth.
- Stir in sour cream and green chiles and set aside.
- Slice up chicken medallions.
- On each tortilla, layer creamy sauce, chicken, black beans, cheese, peppers and onions, and top with more creamy sauce.
- Roll up burrito style.
- Spray a 9-13 baking dish with cooking spray and put a thin layer of creamy sauce on the bottom.
- Set enchiladas inside in a row.
- Top with creamy sauce.
- Bake at 350 degrees for around 40 minutes or until it is just starting to brown.
- Remove from oven and immediately a sprinkle with shredded cheese so it will melt.
And while we are talking Mexican food, you should try Tina’s Mango Chicken Tacos– delish!
Save this for later?